Saturday, September 8, 2012

Trans Teen Acceptance

Tonight I spent some time with Foot Fetish ExBoyfriend and he updated me on things that had gone on, including the fact that no one in the house cared that he was coming to see me tonight. "They have other problems," he said, "Teenage Daughter is at a friend's house. She wants to go to prom with him. She's going through hormone therapy now, and surgery is next year." Now here, he mixed up his pronouns and I got really really confused, thinking that Teenage Daughter, with all her gender-bending in roleplaying and video games was finally taking it to real life. He backtracked to clear it up. Teenage Daughter is aspiring to date a FtM transgendered individual.

"And her parents have a problem with that? Father I can see because he's an ass about that stuff but Mother I wouldn't think, what with Teenage Daughter's sister." (She has an older sister that is a butch lesbian and they are just waiting for the announcement of trans) "They had... higher expectations," he said. "She's already an outcast and bullied at school." "Then she needs to grow a thicker skin," I replied.

Quite frankly, this shows a level of compassion from Teenage Daughter that I was not expecting. She's pretty accepting of most people, but to be 18 or 19 and realizing that you're committing to a life-changing and gender-changing process is huge and scary and exciting, and you need a ton of support. I think especially when you're female to male. I think there's just more stigma to it. So for Teenage Daughter to accept, and love this person for who he is, is a beautiful thing that should be embraced, not something to be disappointed in. Frankly, she was bullied before. She's a passive kid and doesn't defend herself, but it's high school and this is her last year. She'll live. This act of compassion is so much more important. I wish her fucking ignorant piece of shit parents would understand that.

No comments:

Post a Comment