Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The first time I "stole" a man

I went browsing back through entries and it's been a little while since I did an "about me" entry. As I mentioned in this entry, I was a late bloomer. I did not have my first boyfriend until I was 22, in college. At this point, I was a part-time student, commuting, and spending a lot of time with my friends in the computer and anime club offices (which were adjacent, and I was an officer in both). I was in computer club that I met Hot Filipino.

Let me explain the dynamic of the club. I was one of two girls. Comparing me to the other girl was... like comparing a beautiful Friesian to a common pony. Yeah, a pony is cute but a Friesian has poise  and elegance and presence. While the other girl and I were friends-- and good friends-- there was always the Female Struggle for Dominance. So when we spotted Hot Filipino, our fangs and claws were out.

Hot Filipino was tall, thin, fucking cute and very shy. He joined computer club and we all became good friends. Pony Girl had the benefit of living on campus to have more face time with Hot Filipino, since I commuted and had to work in my hometown. But, as girls, we talked about boys, and she blatantly had a crush. We had the "you wouldn't go after a guy I was interested in, would you?" conversation one day to which I said "no!" We'll get back to that.

Time wore on and winter came. Pony Girl asked Hot Filipino out on a date, to see if they would work as a couple. They had a fun date, but decided to stay friends. She was cool with that. One day we three were goofing off in the office and we wrapped Hot Filipino in wrapping paper, and then went walking through town, the three of us holding hands, picking up our secret santa gifts for the party later on. The Christmas party with my friends was a blast and the person who got my name got me the gorgeous book I had been drooling over that was way over the set price limit for gifts. Pony Girl and I sat on either side of Hot Filipino, each holding his hand. The night wore on, the lights were off in the student center and in the office and we all sat around talking. After she let go, I kept holding Hot Filipino's hand.

Eventually we realized it was extremely late, and since there was a no sleeping in the office rule, we went to get the bag from my trunk that had a blanket and pillow (my mom insisted I have it in there) so that I could crash on Pony Girl's floor. It was far too late to drive 30 minutes home through dark, isolated farmland.

I think it was the next day that Hot Filipino asked me out. He told me he liked holding my hand, my laugh, how I showed my vulnerability in the discussions after the party. We met up and went to the movies. Like any relationship based on physical attraction, we made out a lot. For the record I was 22. Hot Filipino was the first boyfriend I mentioned at the start of this entry.

It's been several years, so I don't remember how everything went down 100%, but I broke the "no sleeping in the office rule" one night and Pony Girl stormed in and slammed the door, waking me up (bitch) and confronted me when everyone was gone. "Why did you lie to me?" she asked. "When did I lie?" I asked, confused. "About not going after someone I was interested in. You said you'd never do that, you lied!"

Ah. That.

We had a girl spat where I defended myself with "you had your chance and decided to be friends, he was fair game" and ended with her unfriending me on AIM, Livejournal, and sending me a breakup email. She always had a flair for the dramatic. In fact, she overreacted to everything all the time that everyone in our circle of friends had my side, and so did Hot Filipino.

Eventually Pony Girl and I made up and Hot Filipino and I broke up. We are all still friends (not as close any more, since we're all out of college and on our own paths now).

So there you have it. The first time I could officially be called a man stealer.

No comments:

Post a Comment