Monday, February 13, 2012

Insomnia and late night public television

I just caught the tail end of a documentary about Iranian transgendered individuals that I think was called "Be Like Others" (anyone know? Little help?). What little I saw was fascinating and sad; one individual was a prostitute who, prior to engaging in sex acts, had a temporary Islamic marriage to their client so that it was not a crime against God. Because she did not have functioning female parts, she could get a temporary marriage every few hours. The other person had a male boyfriend who would not give her family a proper engagement and dowry which frustrated her mother (it surprised me that the mother acknowledged her biological son as her post-op daughter). I really wish I had been able to see the whole documentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment